Are you looking for an easy and delicious burger to celebrate Labour Day (or any other holiday, or any other weekend, or any other other day)? Well here it is – the Labourger. Quick, simple, and yummy (and it’s gluten-free)!
Here’s what you need…
- 1lb ground beef
- Salt / Pepper
- 1t Fresh dill
- 1T Yellow Curry Powder
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large avocado
- 1T Lemon Juice (from half a lemon)
- 3 strips of Applewood smoked bacon, cut in half
- 6 large mushrooms
- vegetable-based non-soy oil (avocado, olive, canola, etc.)
Here’s what you do…
- Cut three strips of bacon in half and get them nice and crispy in a frying pan. Do not drain off the bacon fat. Set cooked bacon aside.
- Clean and slice mushrooms and saute in a small pan with 1T avocado oil / olive oil / your preferred oil. Half-way through add a splash (2T) of the bacon fat and finish the saute. Drain completely and put mushrooms in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl add the ground beef, salt, pepper, 1T yellow curry powder, 1t minced fresh dill (option: use fennel instead of dill). Mix well and form into patties (this can make up to four nice sized burgers). Throw these on your outdoor grill until cooked to medium. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice 1 large tomato in thick slices. Layer on a small plate.
- Smash 1 large avocado into a small bowl. Add salt / pepper / lemon juice. If your avocado is not completely ripe, add to a food processor with some avocado oil and blend quickly but keep a chunky texture.
- Put everything on the table and stack as pictured. Burger, avocado, tomato, bacon, mushrooms. Optional: add a few pieces of lettuce underneath the burger.
Enjoy your delicious gluten-free Labourger, and don’t forget to pair it with a crisp white summer wine. I recommend my favourite white wine, Barton & Guestier’s Vouvray.